Monday, January 25, 2016

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (J.J. Abrams, 2015)
Click here for the basics
Rating: Q=6, P=6 / Average OJ
Scale 1=4, Scale 2=2, Scale 3=3, Scale 4=3

Science Fantasy, Saga, Action

Well, episode 7 is certainly gorgeously designed, fast moving, and fun. Not much talking, still lots of questions unanswered, but it the film certainly feels like part of the earlier stories and it is fun to see all the legendary characters reunited. As with most action movies, there were cliche moments and tropes that made me sarcastically think, "Really? That's unexpected." I hope that the next episode explains why and how Kylo Ren became so horrible. And I'd like to know more about the events that caused the First Order's evilness. Fill us in!

It was refreshing to see a capable female lead, and one who doesn't succumb to love-sickness--in fact, she actually gets stronger through the film. And the cute robot. Seriously, I want one of those. I didn't jump into the theater right away but I'm glad I did eventually see it on the big screen.

--Don't understand the ratings? Click here