Monday, October 29, 2012

October Challenge: Alien & Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)
Click here for the basics
Rating: Q=7, P=5 / Can't Get Enough
Scale 1=4, Scale 2=3, Scale 3=3, Scale 4=2
Thriller, Science Fiction, Aliens, Gore
 
The absolute classic alien film and one of the best scares in cinema history. Fantastic performances -especially by John Hurt and Sigourney Weaver- and memorable moments throughout. The pacing, as in most thrillers, drives me almost to the point of insanity in parts. But even if you know what to expect, Alien gets to you... well worth returning to regularly.


Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Steven Spielberg, 1977)
Click here for the basics
Rating: Q=6, P=4 / Average OJ
Scale 1=4, Scale 2=2, Scale 3=2, Scale 4=2
Thriller, Science Fiction, Aliens, UFO
I've avoided watching this film for years because many people told me it was overrated and Spielberg's style isn't usually my favorite. Well, I must say it was far better than I imagined. While the story itself was a bit lacking (I would have liked more character development and dialogue) the visuals are stunning- they are still amazing even for today's standards. My biggest complaint is the pace- it drags in multiple places and too many threads are left untied. Yes, don't give us all the answers but give us a few more!


--Don't understand the ratings? Click here