Monday, March 25, 2019

SPECIAL: Top 15 Disney Animated Features

If you regularly read this blog, you'll know that I love animation. I have watched cartoons and full-length animated films since before I could speak. There is video proof of me watching cartoons, eyes wide and unblinking. I recall obsessively watching many animated films multiple times a day.

Now, I have favorites that I continually go back to--like My Neighbor Totoro and The Twelve Tasks of Asterix--and I look forward to discovering new animation from around the globe. My collection of animated films is continually growing.

Disney cartoons and films were a huge part of my childhood, like most people born in the twentieth century, I suppose. So, I thought it would be fun to revisit the full-length features from 1937 until today. Since there are hundreds of films produced by Disney, I considered only the 57 films produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios--using the list found here. Then I created a new rating scale specifically for animated films, since I realized through this process that nostalgia and personal style weighs very heavily when I rate animation, more so than other films.

(Also, I am fully aware that each of these films has faults--films are made by humans so the ideologies and prejudices of the day find their way into the stories. Those moments should not be censored, but they should be learned from.)

The result is Elizabeth's Top 15 Disney films. Why 15 and not 10? Well, I had so many films with tied ratings I just couldn't decide between some!

#15 Aladdin (1992)
Image result for aladdin disney film still
I probably watched this film 50 times the year it came out--I was obsessed. I remember reciting the lines and singing the songs constantly. Now, I still enjoy it but more for the story and timeless performance by Robin Williams.

#14 Make Mine Music (1946)
Image result for all the cat's join in disney film still
I adore Disney animated shorts and this collection has two of my favorites: All The Cat's Join In and Casey at the Bat.

#13 The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
Image result for great mouse detective disney film still
As a true Sherlock fan, it's no surprise that this film made my list. Mice versions of Holmes and Watson? Yes, please. This has so many of my favorite things: Mystery, London, fun animation scenes--like the toy store--clever escapes, beautiful animation.

#12 Peter Pan (1953)
Related image
This was a favorite when I was growing up, especially the songs. Who doesn't love the fantasy of flying away to a magic land with mermaids, pirates, Indians, and fairies? And what ample material for illustrators!

#11 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Related image
The first and most critically acclaimed. It's still astonishing how gorgeous the animation is and how powerful and emotional the story. Disney put so much into this one and it will forever be one of the best films (not just animations) of all time. I especially love the jolly dancing and singing dwarfs.

#10 Bambi (1942)
Image result for bambi film still
Oh, the beauty of this one. Falling snow on tall trees, new spring grasses, fields of flowers, mossy trees...everything is gorgeous. Pause the film at any time and you'll have a perfect image.

#9 The Sword in the Stone (1963)
Image result for sword in the stone disney film still
I never saw this one until I was much older, but I have a fondness for King Arthur stories, so it soon became one of my favorites. The artists that worked on Disney films in the early 1960s match my style. I've always liked their sketchier-style backgrounds. There is also a warmth in the color tone that I associate with my childhood, for some reason. I like the quiet, calm pacing and narration, too.

#8 One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
Image result for one hundred and one dalmatians disney film still
Even more than The Sword in the Stone, the tone and feel of this one is exactly my style. It also has plenty of beautiful landscape scenes. And dogs, of course. Such a heartwarming story.

#7 Robin Hood (1973)
Image result for robin hood disney film still
I've studied Robin Hood stories and films and hold this version in high regard. Roger Miller's Alan-A-Dale rooster alone is enough to make this list! I like the creativity, music, goofiness, and just all the different animals.

#6 Fantasia (1940)
Image result for fantasia disney film still
It's hard to rate this film because it is really multiple films in one. But it ranks highly for me, mostly because I can watch it all the time and never be tired of it. I love the concept, the musical choices, and the themes: Beethoven and Greek mythology = brilliant. Tchaikovsky and fairies = this seems obvious. Incredibly nostalgic for me.

#5 Pinocchio (1940)
Image result for pinocchio disney film still
Critics and historians often site Pinocchio as the most perfect, complete animated film that Disney created. It's clear why when you look closely at the editing techniques--this was made in 1940! This story is remarkable--inspiring but filled with truly frightening moments. I'm still disturbed watching the Lost Boys sequences. And this film has--in my opinion--the best Disney song: "When You Wish Upon A Star."

#4 Sleeping Beauty (1959)
Image result for sleeping beauty disney film still
Artistically unlike any other Disney film, Eyvind Earle's magical backgrounds makes this film. This animation is the most fully fairy-tale-like. And the most like a painting. I feel transported into the pages of an illuminated manuscript. Arguably, Sleeping Beauty has the most expressive color and lighting of all Disney films.

#3 Cinderella (1950)
Image result for cinderella disney film still
When I was little, this was my favorite animation. The songs made it for me, and still do--have mice sing and sew and I can't resist. It's a timeless story and Disney captured it so well. The conflict between the evil stepmother (truly evil) and Cinderella gets harder for me to watch every time. And the fairy godmother's entrance is so magical. Fantastic storytelling.

#2 Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Image result for alice in wonderland disney film still
This story is one of my favorites in literature so it's hard not to love this animated version. I used to think the film's pacing was too fast--suddenly the movie finishes right when I was just getting into it! But, like the book, it is supposed to match the attention span of the main character. I love everything about this animation--bold, crisp, clean, beautiful.

#1 Dumbo (1941)
Image result for dumbo animated disney film
The perfect animated film. Seriously, nothing can compare to this gem. The story has humor, sweetness, emotion, conflict, lovable characters, and meaning. The animation is gorgeous--bright, bold, fluid, familiar and at the same time experimental. I will always love this film and it will always be my favorite of Disney.