Monday, March 4, 2024

Dune: Part 2

Dune: Part 2 (Denis Villeneuve, 2024)
Click here for the basics

Rating: Q=8, P=8 / Obsession
Scale 1=4, Scale 2=4, Scale 3=4, Scale 4=4

Fantasy, Science Fiction, Based on Book, Adventure

WOW. I left the cinema speechless...again. Just as I expected, Dune: Part 2 far exceeded my expectations. It was more than mesmerizing. This is a masterful second part to an epic set of films. Just like in the first part, the audience is instantly drawn into the world of Arrakis to a shocking degree--I still can't believe how immersive this film is. I felt the thumping, the heart beats, the sand and spice swirling around the characters, the fear and tension. The contrasting aesthetics of the Harkonnens and the Fremen is so striking. And watch a chilling and creepy performance by Austin Butler as Feyd-Rautha, one of the most disturbing characters ever created. 

Somehow, this second part is even more tense and exhilarating than the first. This is some of the best cinematography (maybe the best?) and art direction I've ever seen. Well done Greig Fraser! And Hans Zimmer's score is phenomenal. I could rant and rave about this film forever, but instead you should just go see it. But I do recommend watching (or re-watching) the first part right before. 

Read what I thought of Dune Part 1.


--Don't understand the ratings? Click here