Monday, May 27, 2024

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (George Miller, 2024)
Click here for the basics

Rating: Q=7, P=8 / Obsession
Scale 1=4, Scale 2=3, Scale 3=4, Scale 4=4

Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Survival, Neo-Western

My first viewing of Mad Max: Fury Road, which was not long after the film came out, gave the film an average rating. Let's be honest...I wasn't really into action movies as much back then. I've since rewatched that film multiple times and have a much greater appreciation for the genre and the filmmaking. I would give it a much higher rating now.

I went into seeing Furiosa with the expectation that it would be good, probably not as good or iconic as Fury Road, but I was optimistic it would be not only fun to watch but thoughtful and interesting. But I was also just along for the ride. I was blown away. This film truly exceeded all my expectations.

The film is more than just a backstory of Furiosa. The backstory part is quite good, too, but it fills in the universe a bit more and provides more motivation for the character(s). It has some very grueling and gruesome scenes, some hilarious moments, phenomenal performances by Chris Hemsworth (not typecasted!) and Ana Taylor-Joy. I was sucked into the world and wanted more when it was done.

Probably the most telling part of my reaction to Furiosa, was that I immediately wanted to rewatch Fury Road when it was over. And after I watched Fury Road again, I appreciated both of the films even more. They build on each other in unexpected ways, which is wonderful filmmaking. A fantastic story, escape, and film.

--Don't understand the ratings? Click here

--Don't understand the ratings? Click here