Monday, July 29, 2019

Green Book

Green Book (Peter Farrelly, 2018)
Click here for the basics
Image result for green book
Rating: Q=5, P=4 / Average OJ
Scale 1=3, Scale 2=2, Scale 3=2, Scale 4=2

1960s, Biopic, Prejudice, Race, Music, Journey

It took me nearly a year to watch this controversial Oscar 2019 Best Picture winner. Partly because I had read so much about why the film should not have received the award, partly because I wasn't ever in the right mood. But now I've seen it. I certainly don't agree that it's Best Picture worthy, but to me, the film wasn't as problematic as articles I had read said it was. On the topic of prejudices and race, it was definitely surface-level and shallow for 2019, but the story is still enjoyable and an escape. The focus of the film is certainly on Viggo Mortensen's character Tony, and very little depth is given to Dr. Shirley (played extraordinarily well by Mahershala Ali). This feels off and is definitely a missed opportunity. Overall, it was predictable and appeals to that human need to see everything seem to "work out in the end."

--Don't understand the ratings? Click here