Monday, July 22, 2019

SPECIAL: Top 10 Studio Ghibli Animated Features

I had so much fun re-watching and rating my favorite Disney films, I decided to do the same for my favorite Studio Ghibli films. Like with the Disney films list, I started with only feature-length films. Here's the complete list in chronological order:

  • NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
  • Castle in the Sky (1986)
  • Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
  • My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
  • Only Yesterday (1991)
  • Porco Rosso (1992)
  • Pom Poko (1994)
  • Whisper of the Heart (1995)
  • Princess Mononoke (1997)
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
  • Spirited Away (2001)
  • The Cat Returns (2002)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
  • Tales from Earthsea (2006)
  • Ponyo (2008)
  • Arrietty (2010)
  • From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
  • The Wind Rises (2013)
  • The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)
  • When Marnie Was There (2014)

It was difficult, but after going through the rating scale for each film here are my results--Elizabeth's Top 10 Studio Ghibli films:

#10 Pom Poko (1994)
Image result for pom poko film
While the story might feel drawn out and slow at times, Pom Poko is magical and hilarious. The ghost-parade sequence has always been one of my favorite sequences in all of animation. I love the folklore. This film is also unique in that it's the only one that I can think of that uses three different animation styles to depict the main characters (the tanuki; raccoon-dogs). Sometimes they are realistic animals, sometimes anthropomorphic animals (often clothed), and sometimes cartoon-like/manga. It's intriguing and it lends itself well with the story.

#9 Ponyo (2008)
Image result for ponyo film
The first time I watched Ponyo, I liked it OK but it didn't grab me. On each subsequent viewing it gets better and better, though. Beautiful sequences and vibrant colors, adorable cuteness of the main characters, and so much fun. It always reminds me of a combination of The Little Mermaid and Pinocchio stories. So joyful.

#8 Castle in the Sky (1986)
Image result for castle in the sky film
For an English major that studied Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, Castle in the Sky definitely has to make my top 10 list for referencing the floating island-world of Laputa. The adventure story that surrounds it is wonderful, too, with steampunk flying machines and pirates. This film also includes one of my favorite kind of film moments: a cleaning/tidying up sequence. Not sure why, but most Studio Ghibli films that I love include one.

#7 Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
Image result for kiki's delivery service film
As we all know, I love Coming of Age movies, and the rest of this list fits that category. But Kiki's Delivery Service is perhaps the most archetypal. It has the perfect story arc and there are so many little moments that make the film classic, for me (shopping to establish your first place, scenes of the city, another cleaning sequence!).

#6 Arrietty (2010)
Image result for arrietty film
The Secret World of Arrietty is another great Coming of Age movie, but I like this one slightly more than Kiki's Delivery Service because Arrietty is based on one of my favorite childhood stories: The Borrowers. I love everything about the idea that little people could be living in your house and collect little bits of your household items. Again, the scenes are magical--all the miniature things suddenly become large. Arrietty's first view of the human's kitchen is marvelous (especially the sound!). Also, the backgrounds...just amazing.

#5 Princess Mononoke (1997)
Image result for princess mononoke film
Like Ponyo, Princess Mononoke did not grab me the first few times I watched. I loved the artistry and the story intrigued me, but it didn't have that special pull. I think this is partly because there are multiple plot lines and it is not nostalgic, cutesy, or joyful. But there is also a different feel in this one compared to all other Miyazaki films--it feels more mature, historical, and even political. The main character is also an adult male, not a young female like many of his others. Of course, it continues to get better and better each time I watch. I ranked it high for all those reasons, and also because the environmental/ecological message is so powerful. This is a true drama.

#4 Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
Image result for howl's moving castle film
I believe that Howl's Moving Castle is the most quintessential Studio Ghibli film out there. The story gets abstract and meanders somewhat, the back-and-forth between realms/worlds is confusing at times, but it is absolutely full of everything I love about Miyazaki's work. The artistry is striking, especially the scenes that juxtapose the dark warships/planes above the bright majestic mountains. The characters are all quirky, imperfect, lovable. How can you not like that hilarious dog Hin? And Calcifer? And so much magic--several cleaning scenes! It is a beautiful tale of love, loyalty, acceptance, and determination.

#3 Spirited Away (2001)
Image result for spirited away film
Folklore and Coming of Age? Yes please. Spirited Away was my first Miyazaki film and I remember that first viewing fondly. I was taken aback, astonished, mesmerized that there were artists out there making films this beautiful. I was thrilled that the story slowly revealed itself and the pacing wasn't frenetic (like so many Hollywood animated films). Each scene had so much detail and felt entirely new. And the color! This is a perfect film and story--full of conflict, challenges, memorable characters and details. It has frightening moments, too (some remind me of Alice in Wonderland). This is a gateway film and one I would make all children watch--everyone, really.

#2 My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Image result for my neighbor totoro film
Pure joy and happiness. My Neighbor Totoro is the film I watch when I feel to feel better, when I want to become absorbed in memories of childhood, when I need to remind myself that life is miraculous. That being said, I consider this one of my Top 10 favorite movies. This is a day-in-the-life story that some might not like (slow pace, no big crux/conflict) but I love it for that reason. The story reflects summertime and being young. It feels like my daydreaming/imaginative play days. It is so heartwarming, it hurts.

#1 Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
Image result for nausicaa film
While it probably seems like My Neighbor Totoro should have been at the top of this list, I chose Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind because not only is the artistry gorgeous but the story/concept really is my favorite. Technically, the film isn't Studio Ghibli (there was no studio yet!) but arguably it was the first...and to many, the best. I love thinking about what the future may be like, and Nausicaa's world of giant insects, poisonous air, and humans going back to pre-industrial ways, feels plausible. The scenes of the fungal forest with dragonflies the size of airplanes is stunning. And Nausicaa is such an admirable character: she has a love of all living things, she is determined and brave to a fault, she takes every risk to save her people...a great heroine. All of Miyazaki's stories have an environmental focus and usually also anti-war themes but Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind focuses on those themes. Inspiring.