Monday, June 15, 2026

Masters of the Universe

Masters of the Universe (Travis Knight, 2026)

Rating: Q=12, P=8 / Decadence
Scale 1=4, Scale 2=4, Scale 3=4, Scale 4=4

Comedy, Fantasy, Action, Adventure

Synopsis: Prince Adam discovers that the strange memories shaping his life are real when the lost Sword of Power resurfaces, forcing him to return to Eternia and challenge the tyrant who shattered his family in kingdom.

OK, I love this film SO much. I really do. I did not grow up playing with He-man or watching the cartoon, though I did see it occasionally, but I am a child of the 1980s and so have a fondness for practical effects. I also love nerdy comedies. So, maybe all of these things explain why Masters of the Universe just hit the right notes, for me. It’s silly in all the right ways , it’s stunning and bright, it has lots of practical effects, it doesn’t take itself too seriously, and it embraces the true escape that movies and toys can be—to kids AND adults. Absolutely loved it.