Thursday, May 28, 2026

One Battle After Another

One Battle After Another (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2025)

Rating: Q=7, P=7 / Decadence
Scale 1=3, Scale 2=4, Scale 3=3, Scale 4=4

Thriller, Politics, Crime, Complex Relationships, Dark Comedy

Synopsis: When their enemy resurfaces after 16 years, a group of ex-revolutionaries reunite to rescue the daughter of one of their own.

I went into this film with absolutely no expectations, even though I knew that it had one the Best Picture Academy Award. I’ve always liked Paul Thomas Anderson’s films. He has an uncanny ability to pick the right actors and cast to make an impression, and to leave viewers questioning systems and rules and human behavior. One Battle After Another is a thrilling adventure with politics and crime and intrigue. It’s also incredibly funny and, at times, goofy. It’s hard to blend so many different themes and genres together, but he does and it makes the story feel more real despite its incredible plot. I was pleasantly surprised at how well Leonardo DiCaprio and Sean Penn performed their roles and newcomer, Chase Infiniti, is really fun to watch. Highly worth multiple viewings.